A Platform For Change…
One million plastic bottles around the world are consumed every single minute. Isn’t that incredible to think?
Here at the New Continental Hotel, we have always tried hard to be as sustainable as possible and, as much as the business has allowed, to always act ethically and responsibly. So, knowing that over eight million tonnes of plastic waste ends up in our oceans every year, we knew that we had to work hard to help make change happen.
Although small steps, we know that any steps we make now will add up to making a difference; and if we want to play a part in a shift and see a future where our planet is less battered by our waste, we simply have to act – and act now.
By 2050, it is said that there will be more plastic (by weight) than fish in the ocean; something that all of us here at the New Continental Hotel don’t want to be a part of. So, with this in mind, we have made a commitment to do all that we can throughout the entire hotel and our events and conferencing department is cheering this change.
We know that we can’t get rid of plastic altogether; it’s useful, durable and affordable and so as a result of this, we use it every day in some form. But how we use single use plastics can – and is changing.
Although we have completed a full audit and the hotel introduced an Environmental Policy in 2016; our bars, events and conference offering has also had its own overhaul more recently.
Our Food & Beverage Manager removed plastic straws and bottles in 2018. Where possible our events team work with our organisers to share our tried and tested environmentally kind tips; and they are going down a treat!
Thank you to everyone who has helped and assisted us along the way.
How You Can Help US:
These tips have been really popular and so, we thought that we would share them! If you’re thinking of, or holding an event with us, you can see how together we can all try and take small steps to make a united difference.
Go-Paperless! Use apps, QR codes and websites to save paper. Also, make sure to put your agenda and any event information online! For organisations that don’t have their own website, we happily host a page FOR FREE on our website leading up to the event. A central place for those without a website to host all of their event information.
Email Know How! Pre-conference emails offering information such as links to information and also our Wi-Fi password in advance really helps. It means that delegates can be encouraged, empowered and enabled to go paperless!
It’s Not Just What We Say! We also offer our sustainability statement to go on any of event or conference information.
No more plastic! We no longer stock plastic water bottles for our events. Instead we place glasses and water pitchers in the meeting space. We also happily provide biscuits not individually wrapped if requested.
Go Local! Where and when at all possible our event food and beverages are locally sourced to decrease our carbon footprint.
On The Go! We no longer offer take away Coffee from events as we do not stock paper cups.
Be Collective! We suggest that even though we have ample parking, organisers suggest that delegates set up carpools and offer public transport details for their events with us. As we are in the city centre we are really easy to get to!
Our Marketing At Events:
Bin It! We do not use throwaway marketing materials within conferences that we host; nor do we give handouts to delegates. We will always put any information either on a memory stick or send before or during the event via email.
No Swag! We don’t promote our businesses products or services with any ‘swag’ style items at events we host. We don’t give away pens or branded free gifts that don’t have a ‘sustainable’ theme.
Below is a little about what we do as a general rule at the New Continental Hotel, and also what we aim to develop in the future:
What We DO:
We are undertaking the following actions to strive to responsibly lessen our impact on the environment wherever we sensibly can, by:
- Factoring the environment in our everyday decision making at management meetings.
- We are Raising awareness and encouraging our staff to carry out more sustainable business practices by informing and involving them at induction and during regular meetings throughout the year.
- Recycling paper, newspapers, glass, batteries, fluorescent and long life bulbs, cans and cartridges.
- Operating a ‘switch off’ policy for office staff to turn off computer equipment and printers, lights and heating when not in use.
- Operating a ‘switch off’ policy for function spaces no longer in use.
- Reducing our usage of harmful cleaning chemicals and replacing these with eco-friendly products wherever possible.
- Reducing our usage of paper by printing double sided and re-using paper wherever possible.
- Encouraging our guests to explore the local attractions by public transport or on foot by providing information on walks, cycle routes and cycle hire information and bus timetables at Reception.
We will continue to:
- Use low energy light bulbs in public areas.
- Have motion light sensors fitted where appropriate and safe to do so.
- Monitor our energy consumption of gas, electricity and water.
- Use email where possible to reduce the use of paper.
- Turn off unnecessary lights and taps.
- Buy in bulk.
We are working on projects to:
- Update our website with green travel information e.g. local bicycle hire.
- Continue to reduce our energy consumption by looking at energy saving devices, insulation and working on long term projects such as implementing LED lighting.
- Use more organic produce, seasonal vegetables and local produce.
- Use recycled paper for our brochures with a reduced print run.
- Get involved in local community projects.
- Reduce water use by continuing to fit water saving devices in toilets and rooms throughout the hotel.
- Donate half used bathroom products and towels and bedding to local homeless charities.
- We will always comply with the law in all our actions and will continuously review our policy to improve our environmental impact.
We are dedicated to balancing our commitment to our Environmental Policy without compromising on the comfort, standards and enjoyment of our guests