Meet The Chefs…
Our chefs are selected with the same care and attention that we take in sourcing the finest, fresh, local ingredients for our menus. A combination of innovative training and hands-on experience means our chefs create succulent dishes based on an impeccable knowledge of taste and an understanding of seasonal produce.
- Paul Doidge As Executive Chef for the New Continental Group, Paul works across the entire group with the ultimate goal of ensuring that quality culinary dishes are being served throughout all settings. On a typical day in the life of Paul Doidge, he will mainly be found inside the kitchens checking the freshness of food, coordinating the activities of the chefs, working with the Head Chefs to determine the best presentation of food, always ensuring the quality of each meal served, inspecting kitchen equipment and monitoring policies. You will also find him being ‘chef’ as he knows each menu and can step into any kitchen at any time. Executive Chef
- Rob Dunne As Head Chef at the New Continental Hotel, Rob looks after all three kitchens and works across all menus; Steve’s Brasserie, Functions, Weddings and Special Events. Rob has an extensive amount of knowledge and experience in the food industry and takes great pride in every dish that leaves any of his kitchens. With bags of creativity, precision, passion and energy Rob can be found darting from kitchen to kitchen ensuring our fine reputation for sensational food long continues. Head Chef
- Vernson Mills As Sous Chef at the New Continental Hotel, Vernson has a huge role within the kitchens alongside Rob. Sous Chef is one of the most sought after positions in hotel kitchens and as you will see in Vernson, requires a huge amount of passion, knowledge and experience. Always with a smile he is second in hierarchy after Rob, our Head Chef , which means in this position he has full control over the kitchen and is directly responsible for the food quality produced here, when the Head Chef is away. A sous chefs job is highly demanding and implies taking on a great variety of tasks in both culinary and managerial sector. No day is identical For Vernson as there are days in which he is menu planning, prepping, serving or ordering fresh, local, seasonal produce. Sous Chef
- Nick Stanley Perhaps one of the hardest positions to describe; for over 20 years Nick has been freshly preparing breakfast for our guests here at the New Continental Hotel whilst also working hard on staff meals and preparing many of our fine hot and cold buffets. Nick can usually be found in the hotels Breakfast kitchen from 5.30am prepping and ordering stock for the kitchen whilst greeting everyone with a morning smile. Chef
- Jake Allen As an independent, family owned hotel we are extremely proud that we can offer passionate, motivated people the incredible opportunity to join our industry with our leading Chef Apprenticeship Programme across our group. Our Programme is created in partnership with City College Plymouth to provide certification in Professional Cookery. Our Apprentices are immersed in a vibrant learning environment within our collection of iconic Plymouth restaurants and hotel. They learn on-the-job from exceptional chefs within a highly-skilled kitchen brigade whilst working with premium seasonal produce and high quality equipment and tools. Jake joined us on work- experience at 15 and is currently doing the first year of his apprenticeship. We’re so proud of him and the talent that working with our chefs have unleashed on him already, and what in turn that has given the hospitality sector; his future looks tremendously bright. Apprentice